Monday, October 26, 2009


Training
First let me get something straight, I am not an expert runner. I have never claimed to be. However, I have run a lot of races over the years. I have found there are as many opinions on training as there are pins in the parks. Everyone has a different approach and a lot of them work. You have to find what works for you. For the scope of the discussion here, I am not going to get into every nuance of running and the training needed to complete a race, but I will give a few pointers.
-There are numerous websites that can help you get a program designed for your lifestyle and goals. Some of them that I have found helpful are http://www.runnersworld.com/, http://www.halhigdon.com/ and http://www.jeffgalloway.com/. They each have programs that are designed with different levels of expertise and training programs for different distances.
-The best advice that I can give someone is never miss your “long run”. The goal for this weekly run is to train and acclimate your body to a longer distance than the week before.
-Stick with your program. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that don’t take the training serious and they don’t finish.
-During my training for the marathon, I always had my ipod loaded with motivating music and interesting podcasts (such as the WDW Radio Show). The long runs can be, well, long and entertainment helps keep you moving.
-The most important piece of equipment for running is your shoes. Get the best pair of running shoes that your budget will allow. Specialty running stores often will analyze your gait to help you determine what shoes would work best for you. Of course, select shoes that feel good as well.

1 comment: